Beyond the Hijab features stories of real Muslim women living in Singapore.
We welcome all submissions from members of the Muslim community of all nationalities, ethnicities, orientations, and hijab preferences to submit written pieces – poems, monologues, songs or even raps! Write about the issues you care about, the challenges you face spiritually or in your daily lives, and what your religion means to you. From issues on women’s rights, to generational clashes and love and relationships. Use this blog to let your personality and uniqueness shine ladies! Beyond the Hijab is a place to celebrate the trials, triumphs and even sometimes cringe-worthy awkwardness of being Muslim women. You can submit under a pseudonym if you want to maintain anonymity and submissions will not reproduced in any way except with permission of the author.
This Month’s Theme: Microaggressions
The theme for May is Microaggressions — the casual denigration of someone based on their marginalised identity.
The difficulty with microaggressions is primarily the fact that they are not overt displays of discrimination, leaving you confused and undecided on whether to confront the perpetrator (not made easier with the risk of being called ‘oversensitive’).
What are some interactions where you have experienced microaggressions as a Muslim woman in Singapore? Did it come from a family member asking about marriage? Or perhaps a colleague making presumptions due to the way you dress? How did you respond, or did you not respond at all? Were you ever the perpetrator of microaggressions yourself?
As long as your story fits the theme, we would love to hear it.
You have until May 15th to submit.
Looking forward to hearing your stories
- All pieces must be original and submitted in the English language, unless you can provide a translation.
- Submissions must be between 600 – 2000 words.
- Authors must be members of the Muslim community living in Singapore
- If selected, your piece may go through an editing process. We may request some changes or edits, but only because we want the strength of your piece to be fully realised!
- We provide an honorarium for selected pieces.
- Submit below or email your submission as a word document to firstname.lastname@example.org